Monday, April 2, 2012

haircuts

So, this post may get a little rant-y, but bear with me here. I went to get a haircut today (I was having a particularly bad day, was probably due for a trim, and thought getting a cut would make me feel a little better), and it always stuns me how expensive haircuts are.

Now, part of the expense is my own fault, since I have a hard time trusting just anyone to cut my hair. I think most of the ladies out there will agree with me. My husband will go to the cheapest place he can find, and the haircut is fine. No worries, no problems. I'm jealous of that. Anyway, I get kind of expensive haircuts.

I've found that something you can do to get a slightly cheaper haircut is to ask the stylist to just cut it, and not style it. So, when I got my  hair cut today, I told the girl at the front that I didn't need it styled, just cut, like I always do. I also asked the stylist to thin out my hair a little, also something I do frequently, because my hair is super thick. 

However, after she got done cutting, she asked if it was alright if she blow dried it a little, because it's better to thin hair out when it's not so wet. Since it sounded logical, I agreed. Then she went on to tell me that she was also going to flat iron it a bit, also in the name of better thinning/texturing. I said fine, at this point pretty sure she was going to charge me for the style.

And, sure enough, when we got to the cash register, I got charged an extra $10 for the blow dry and flat iron. Even though I saw it coming, I was still a little miffed. I didn't say anything, and just paid it, and tipped the stylist (maybe I should have skipped that?), but I won't let her cut my hair again.

Does this happen to anyone else? Getting tricked into paying for more at the salon?

P.S. The short version of this post is that to save a little $$ on haircuts, ask them not to style it!

No comments:

Post a Comment