Monday, February 25, 2013

butternut squash soup

As part of our effort to try to eat a little healthier, I went looking for soup recipes that I could easily make and take to work, and that would be good for me.

I immediately thought of a butternut squash soup, since that would give me a veggie at lunch, which I hardly ever eat while I am at work.


As a bonus, this soup is vegetarian, so would make a good lunch even on our meatless day.

This soup turned out really good, even though it was a little thick for my taste. I think next time if I use the whole butternut squash (which I did) I will need to increase the other ingredients so it's more soup-like and less babyfood-like.


Butternut Squash Soup

1 Butternut squash, about 2 pounds
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon finely minced jalapeno pepper
2 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup heavy cream


1. Peel the squash, cut it in half, and scoop out the seeds. Cut into 1 inch pieces. In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. 
2. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until they begin to brown, about 5 minutes. 
3. Add the carrot, cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook for 1 minute, and then add squash, jalapeno pepper, and chicken stock. 
4. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15- 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. 
5. Remove from the heat and puree the soup using an immersion blender, or transfer to a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth. 
6. Return to the heat, add the cream and adjust the seasonings.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment