Tuesday, March 13, 2012

my second job

For about a year and a half now, I’ve been coaching cheerleading/tumbling with a small business that does both recreational and competition youth cheerleading and hip hop teams.

I coach two nights a week, about 3.5 hours total per week. It is something that I really enjoy, and having an extra paycheck (as small as it is!) has really helped. 

The girls range in age from 5 to 14. This semester I am helping out with the competition teams as well as coaching a recreational hip hop class. I have coached recreational cheer teams in past semesters.

For the rec teams, I am responsible for their music and their routines, which has been a bit of a challenge for me with my hip hop team! The competition teams’ routines and music are taken care of by our head coach, so all I have to do for those teams is know their routines and help them sharpen things up, work on their stunts, and work on their tumbling.

I stumbled across the cheer company while I was looking for a place to teach tumbling. I took tumbling classes for 7 years when I was young, and it’s a skill I’ve been able to hold onto. What I found is that in Colorado, no one really teaches just tumbling. So, I contact the coach at my current company about coaching, and she was willing to give me a shot!

It’s worked out really well and I don’t think I could have found a better second job!

No comments:

Post a Comment